English French German Italian Russian Spanish
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Introduction to Chaos Magick

Introduction to Chaos Magick 4 years 6 months ago #7

According to LLewellyn.com, "Chaos magic is an attitude, a philosophy that promotes experimentation, play, and creativity while discarding dogmatic rules. Chaos magic points out that the techniques more than the symbols are what matter and that our belief in a system is actually what makes it work."

It's hard to find a much better description than that, as you would be hard pressed to find two "Chaotes" who agree completely on a system of Chaos Magick, whether it be ritual magick down to sigil magick.

This forum should serve as a place for aspiring and "experienced" Chaotes, looking for advice from others who have made the same journey in the pursuit of knowledge. There are no bad questions, especially in this branch of Magick, so don't be afraid to ask.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Introduction to Chaos Magick 4 years 6 months ago #8

Don't take this the wrong way and I mean absolutely no disrespect,, but I've always heard through traditions that Chaos Magick was "Untrained" Magick. While I am no one who strictly adheres to all the traditional aspects of callign quarters and etc... I do understand why sometimes working impromptu can be just as effective.

As someone who's been through the mill with several different formal teachers, and has studied three different traditions what kinds of training does somoene who pracices Chaos Magick go through? Is there a mentoring system in place? I'm sure even the most trained among us will agree that will and intent are major components to getting any magick to work, but are there any established traditions in the practice of Chaos Magick?

Thanks

Talwyn
System Administrator

--- Discussion is the bridge to understanding

Introduction to Chaos Magick 4 years 6 months ago #9

I think a good place to start for an aspiring Chaote would be watching this Grant Morrison talk, wherein he discusses Sigil Magick and his journey into learning about Magick in general:

* WARNING PROFANITY ALERT

---
* Please do not report this post for content. Administration has allowed this for informational purposes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ashareem

Last edit: by Admin.

Introduction to Chaos Magick 4 years 6 months ago #10

I'm sorry but I can't take someone serious when they act like this person in this video. This has been my experience with most who participate Chaos Magick... they are so chaotic that you can't hear the signal for all the noise. While I have met some who have had their acts together I find that they actually practice more of a form of Ceremonial Magick than Chaos Magick.

I respect the administration for allowing the post with all it's F-Bombs. But I'm sorry I had to abandon after about 5 minutes of it. I can deal with the Scottish accent, but I just can't deal with the barrage of profanity and in your face attiude.

Do you have a better example? Perhaps somehting that is written better?

Moondancer

Introduction to Chaos Magick 4 years 6 months ago #11

Grant Morrison is the reason many of us found our way into Chaos, and he may be considered one of the most prominent voices in the "field" (if you can call it that) today.

If you don't like watching his videos, you can read his article here that covers many of the same topics: disinfo.com/2014/10/pop-magic-grant-morrison/

There's also this write up on his talk at Morrisoncon, www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=41302

He's so devoted to the cause, that I would argue that the entire "Invisibles" series was written around his beliefs and is a form of Sigil Magick in itself.

Robert Anton Wilson was also a huge influence on the early days of Chaos Magick,

Unfortunately the more you look into it, the more you will have to deal with the profanity as I've found that Chaos practitioners aren't really the kind of people who like to censor themselves. I mean, we're talking about trying to apply rules to people who have beliefs that are boundless.

I get that most people studying other parts of the occult will look down upon people studying Chaos Magick, if you can call it 'studying', which is why most of them will just keep silent about their own belief systems to avoid being talked down to. We use what works for us and discard what doesn't, but that doesn't mean that we'll point out flaws in other people's beliefs or how they express them, because we tend to understand that everyone is different in what works for them.

Introduction to Chaos Magick 4 years 6 months ago #12

This is also a good resource for learning about Chaos Magick, and is relatively easy to read through:

ultraculture.org/blog/2015/01/12/psychon...-guide-chaos-magick/

• Page:
Moderators: yamamushi
Time to create page: 0.372 seconds